To continue my super-awesome week in review, I’ll share my workouts from last week.
I’ve been enjoying mixing up workouts the last few months. While I love swimming, biking and running, it’s been nice to get more into strength training. I am still meeting my personal trainer two mornings a week and plan to conitnue that for… well, forever?
- 30 Lift / 30 Spin – This is becoming one of my favorite types of workouts. I spend 30 minutes in the spin class and 30 minutes lifting. It’s the perfect combination when I’m feeling distracted and bored easy. Which is highly likely to happen after a Monday at work.
- Body Pump – I met Meg for Pump again this week. I really like that class. The shoulder track was a little bit cray-cray for me and my shoulders were burning afterword. But, it was a ‘hurts-so-good’ kind of burn.
- Run – I got some extra motivation from somewhere on Tuesday night and decided to head out for a run. I decided to do my normal 3-mile loop, leave the Garmin at home, and wear my heart rate monitor instead. I tried to keep my heart rate around 160. I ended up running it in 27:45 (9:18 pace) and really enjoyed the run. I should do that more often.
- Personal Training – I started out with a little 30-minute Tour de Cardio (stairs, arc trainer, treadmill). My trainer showed no mercy for my sad shoulders at our workout. I set a new record for assisted pull-ups in a 1 minute so she said she’s dropping my weight moving forward. She also decided to up the weight to a 35-lbs plate on my back during my planks. Then followed it up with Arnold’s, dumbbell chest press, reverse lunges with dumbbells, v-sits, upright row, and squats with high knees. It was a great workout!
- Open Water Swim – I decided to give my shoulders a little bit of a break and opted for the half mile swim on Wednesday night instead of the full mile. Once I got out to Pass-a-Grille Beach I was glad I made that decision. The water was pretty rough. It felt pretty washing-machiney at the end in the fact that I was getting hit with waves from both directions. That’s why we train open water though, right?
- Spin- Took a spin class on Thursday morning with Meg. The class was pretty good. I was really sleepy though.
- REST! Much needed.
- Bike - Saturday morning I met Meghan for a bike ride. She wanted to do 40 miles and that sounded good to me. I haven’t ridden more than 30 since last October and I was kind of excited to get back into longer rides. We met at the Suncoast parkway and knocked out (almost) 40-miles. The sun stayed behind the clouds and the ride was enjoyable. My legs felt better than I ever remember them feeling at the distance. I had a Cliff bar at mile 20 and I think that may have had something to do with having enough energy to power through it.
- Run - Patrick and I decided to run 6-ish miles on Sunday. After 40 miles on the bike the day before it started out rough. The first two miles were tough and my legs felt like lead (10:26, 10:25). Decided to suck it up and finish out 5 miles rather than heading home (9:48, 9:52, 9:47). Glad we made that decision.
It sure was a busy week, but a good one!