Woah! That first month flew by. I figured this would be a good time to check in on my goals.
- Do at least 2 OW swims a month. Done! I successfully completed 4 open waters swims this month. I started swimming with the Mad Dogs on Wednesday nights and am really enjoying it. I’m slowly conquering my uneasiness with open water.
- If I need to rest, I will rest. Last week was a great week to remind myself of this one. The beginning of the week required a bit more rest than normal for me, so, I rested. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in the “plan” and not listen to my body. I hope I can continue to make this decision.
- Add distance to a few long runs, when I’m feeling up to it. I have not yet begun to add distance for my November marathon. The run distances in this training plan will gradually increase through September and I don’t plan to add any additional miles until the last few months.
- Get at least two good wetsuit swims in. I’m still struggling with how I am going to work this in. To date, I’ve only been able to wear my wetsuit once. Does anyone have any suggestions for wetsuit training in warm weather?
- Have FUN! No problems there! I’ve said it time and time again, I am really enjoying this plan. I really hope the positive energy sticks around for the next 14 weeks!
This is the first time I’ve put goals down on paper before starting a training plan and I’m so glad I did. While they’re minor in the long run and easily attainable, they’ve given me the opportunity to have smaller accomplishments along the way.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that, over the last few weeks, I am constantly finding myself conquering fear. Fear of open water, fear of the bike, fear of trying something new. There really is no time or place for it anymore, and I’m tackling it head on.
I’m only one month in but I can already tell, I’m building a lot more than just my endurance with this training cycle.